Role type: Full time; Fixed-term until December 2024
Faculty: Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology
Department/School: School of Electrical, Mechanical, and Infrastructure Engineering
Salary: Level A– $77,171 – $104,717 p.a. plus 17% super
Founded in 1853, the University of Melbourne is Australia’s #1 university and is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
About the School of Electrical, Mechanical, and Infrastructure Engineering
The School of Electrical, Mechanical, and Infrastructure Engineering (EMI) undertake teaching and research across a range of disciplines that are internationally recognised for their contribution to fundamental research. EMI has several well-established industry linkages and international partnerships and is building a vibrant profile of interdisciplinary research, working with industry with an aim to contribute to society. EMI offers a comprehensive range of accredited Master of Engineering and Master of Information Technology programs taught through the Electrical, Mechanical, and Infrastructure departments as well as professional Masters programs. The School has a substantial cohort of research higher degree students.
About the Role
As the Research Fellow, you will be a part of integrating a variety of transport modes to ensure that they are efficient and safe within contemporary parcel distribution networks. This project will develop procedures for designing delivery routes involving a combination of van and walking tours. In this role, you will develop automated techniques for identifying areas for van and walking routes using spatial analysis and modelling tools.
- Independently plan and carry out research on the nominated research project and work towards completion of the aims of the project
- Develop effective timelines and milestones based on the goals of the research programme
- Perform data and microstructure analysis, be responsible for qualitative and statistical analysis of research data and communicate this information to the Chief Investigators and collaborators
- Regularly write technical reports on the outputs of the experiments conducted, and maintain accurate and detailed records of all experiments conducted
- Contribute to teaching, training, scientific mentoring and supervision of students and junior research staff
You have a passion for innovative, high-quality research, as evidenced by scholarly publications. You have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, demonstrated by the presentation of research results at conferences, internal forums, and manuscript submissions. Using initiative, you will be able to work with minimal supervision and prioritise tasks to achieve project objectives within timelines
You will further have:
- A PhD in Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems or Mathematics, or closely related discipline;
- Experience in the development and application of network optimisation models, data analytics, and geographic information systems (GIS).
- A record of quality research as evidenced by publications in leading journals and at conferences commensurate with opportunity;
- Ability to perform independent, innovative research and a commitment to interdisciplinary research;
- Demonstrated capacity to communicate research concepts to technical and non-technical audiences;
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and be part of vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements and generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, please visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
At UoM, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community, and we encourage and celebrate diversity. Indigenous Australians, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages with disabilities and culturally diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply for our roles. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you feel this role is right for you, please apply with your CV and cover letter outlining your interest and experience. Please note that you are not required to provide responses against the selection criteria in the Position Description.
Should you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition team at email@example.com.
Due to the impacts of COVID-19, we are currently prioritising applications with current valid working rights in Australia and candidates who are not affected by travel restrictions. Please see the latest updates to Australia’s immigration and border arrangements: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/
The University of Melbourne is required to comply with applicable health guidance and directions issued from the Victoria Health Minister. The University of Melbourne requires all University of Melbourne employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless an exemption order applies. All applicants therefore must meet this requirement when submitting an application.
Applications close: TUESDAY 12 JULY 2022 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Standard Time