Role type: Full time/ Fixed-term until December 2024
Faculty: Organisation Unit
Department/School: Indigenous Data Network
Salary: Level B– $107,547 – $127,707 p.a. plus 17% super
Founded in 1853, the University of Melbourne is Australia’s #1 university and is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
About the Indigenous Data Network
The Indigenous Data Network (IDN) is a national consortium of organisations and individuals led by the University of Melbourne, within the Indigenous Studies Unit, Centre for Health Equity, Melbourne School of Population & Global Health.
About the Role
The Research Fellow – Data Science will work alongside the IDN’s Associate Director – Indigenous Data, and the IDN leadership team to establish the foundations for Indigenous data for future research, access, conservation and evidence-based knowledge creation and seeks to data ecosystems transformation, to develop community-led research and to drive global engagement.
In a typical week at work, you may:
- Actively contribute to the IDN’s operational and project activities to support the IDN leadership and project researchers with innovative, data-driven capabilities.
- Apply knowledge and expertise with data, metadata, data processing and database technologies to help researchers design and build data assets, management and integration capabilities using the latest technologies and best practices.
- Employ leading-edge analytic, modelling and visualisation capabilities to assist researchers to perform data exploration and interpretation for the generation of improved insights.
You are a confident communicator with an ability to provide a significant degree of leadership in scholarly and/or teaching as well as providing mentoring to staff and students.
Ideally, you will further have:
- PhD or equivalent professional qualification and/or experience in relevant discipline.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Indigenous data and/or research data science as relevant to the purpose and operations of the IDN and the IIRC project.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with an ability to work collaboratively, and develop relationships with key stakeholders (internal and external).
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements and generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, please visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
At UoM, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community, and we encourage and celebrate diversity. Indigenous Australians, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages, with disabilities or culturally diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply for our roles. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you feel this role is right for you, please submit your application including a brief cover letter, your resume and your responses against the selection criteria^ (found in the Position Description) for the role.
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
Should you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition team at email@example.com.
Due to the impacts of COVID-19, we are currently prioritising applications with current valid working rights in Australia and candidates who are not affected by travel restrictions. Please see the latest updates to Australia’s immigration and border arrangements: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/
Position description: Research Fellow – Data Science PD.doc
Applications close: 28 APRIL 2022 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time