Role type: Part-time 0.8 FTE; Fixed-term for 12 months
Faculty: Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
Department/School: Melbourne Dental School
Salary: Level B – $110,236 – $130,900 (pro-rata for part-time) p.a. plus 17% super. A clinical loading (if applicable) of $9,825 p.a. (pro-rata).
Founded in 1853, the University of Melbourne is Australia’s #1 university and is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
About Melbourne Dental School
The Melbourne Dental School has a strong tradition in Oral Health education and research, and an established international reputation in several research areas. The School offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in oral health and dentistry, as well as clinical specialist postgraduate training and an extensive suite of Continuing Professional Development programs.
About the Role
The Lecturer in Oral Health will play a pivotal role in ensuring the Bachelor of Oral Health (BOH) students receive the appropriate level of education and clinical experience.
You will work closely with Melbourne Dental School (MDS) academic staff to promote excellence in experiential learning and integrated knowledge for entry into the dental profession. You will significantly contribute to curriculum improvement initiatives. This role will be actively supported by the Director BOH Program and the Director of Learning and Teaching to ensure all objectives and goals are met and maintained.
In a typical week at work, you may:
- Ensure BOH students reach an appropriate level of knowledge, skills, and clinical competence as they progress through the program
- Coordination and supervision of simulation and clinical sessions as necessary
- Provide academic oversight for equity in student clinical placements, whilst ensuring student compliance to university policies such as Fitness-to-Practice, immunisation status, OHS and MDS policies on professional behaviour expectations
- Contribute to curriculum improvement and assessment initiatives, including research conducted in this area
You will be part of our dedicated Team focusing on strategic reviews of education, research and organisational structure, also known as MDS’25.
You will be an experienced professional with a background in clinical education. You will be able to utilise your exceptional interpersonal and communication skills to liaise at all levels, with both students and staff members. You will be able to work successfully, both collaboratively and collegially.
Ideally, you will further have:
- Experience in clinical education and subject coordination for BOH students
- Demonstrated ability to explore new educational methods to improve learning and teaching capabilities
- An Operator Licence for Irradiating Apparatus for Dental Radiography issued by the State Government of Victoria
- Primary dental qualification registrable with the Dental Board of Australia and current AHPRA registration
To ensure the University continues to provide a safe environment for everyone, this position requires the incumbent to hold a current and valid Working with Children Check.
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements and generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, please visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
At UoM, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community, and we encourage and celebrate diversity. Indigenous Australians, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages with disabilities and culturally diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply for our roles. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you feel this role is right for you, please submit your application including a brief cover letter, your resume and your responses against the selection criteria^ (found in the Position Description) for the role.
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
Should you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition team at email@example.com.
Due to the impacts of COVID-19, we are currently prioritising applications with current valid working rights in Australia and candidates who are not affected by travel restrictions. Please see the latest updates to Australia’s immigration and border arrangements: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/
The University of Melbourne is required to comply with applicable health guidance and directions issued from the Victoria Health Minister. The University of Melbourne requires all University of Melbourne employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless an exemption order applies. All applicants therefore must meet this requirement when submitting an application.
Position Description: Lecturer Oral Health May 2022 (1).docx
Applications close: 20th June 2022 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Standard Time