Argentina vs Brazil football match in Melbourne cancelled, Victoria upset

Victorian Sports Minister Martin Pakula didn’t mince his words after learning two global powerhouses had reneged on their Aussie deal.

The “Superclasico” between South American giants Brazil and Argentina that was scheduled to be played at the MCG on June 11 has been called off.

A full house had been expected at the MCG for the match, but it will no longer go ahead following Argentina’s decision not to travel to Australia.

Stream The EFL Championship Playoffs LIVE with beIN SPORTS on Kayo as four clubs compete for the last EPL promotion spot. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

“Regrettably … contrary to their prior agreement and commitment to do so, Argentina are no longer prepared to travel to Australia for the match against Brazil,” organisers TEG Sport and Left Field Live said in statement.

“In response, event organisers are now working with the key stakeholders connected to the match to review all options for the fixture and will provide further updates as quickly as possible.”

Victoria’s Sports Minister Martin Pakula said the government was “pretty p***ed off” with Argentina’s refusal to honour the match contract.

“I think they owe Australian football fans an explanation,” Pakula said.

Argentina’s withdrawal came almost immediately after FIFA ruled that a World Cup qualifier between the two nations that was suspended in September because of alleged violations of Covid-19 protocols would still have to be played despite both teams having already earnt a spot in this year’s World Cup.

Those who bought tickets to attend the now shelved match will be refunded.

Read related topics:Melbourne

Source link

Leave a Comment